Countdown to Boston

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Pregnant Running



Alot of people have asked me what it is like to run and be pregnant or have looked at me wide-eyed or in disbelief - especially now as the end is near and I am pretty big! It doesn't feel THAT weird, it is just SLOW. From the beginning, my doctor supported my running and said to listen to my body. I've done a good job at this, which has ended up in slower running, walking breaks, and more fuel if I'm doing a longer run.
It is also touch and go. Some days I can have a great "run" and other days it is horrible and I have to do something else or walk most of it. I remember a day back around 5 or 6 months pregnant and I thought it was the end of running. I kept getting side stitches throughout a run and couldn't finish it, and drove home from the gym in tears. The next day I had a fine run! So it does take patience and determination to keep going when you are running so much slower than you are used to, but it is completely worth it in the end.


Before I was pregnant, I was running 35-40 miles per week and my average pace was around 8 to 8:30 minute miles for training. My runs had alot more variety - tempo runs, hill runs, and interval training. Throughout the pregnancy, most weeks I have been able to continue to do 30 miles a week, but my pace has declined with time, and my runs are all just "easy" runs - the goal is to finish them! At this point with 3 weeks until my due date, my pace is around 11:30/12minute average. My biggest concern is recovering after the baby comes, but I think that all of the running that I've done throughout the last 8 months will really help me to recover quickly and get ready for Boston with plenty of time. My goal for Boston is to raise as much money as I can for cancer research. I don't want a PR, I just want to experience and finish the Boston marathon and enjoy it - and then I can say that I did it!

This week I didn't take many running rest days, which I think are crucial to letting your legs rest and recover. A snow day was thrown in midweek (which was GREAT!) on my normal swimming day, so instead I ran. I got in a long "run" of 12 miles Saturday morning which included many walking breaks and I'm looking forward to a few recovery miles with Bill outside tomorrow @ our loop up the street in Malvern.

Thank you for your support!

2 comments:

  1. Cute pic! Great job working out too hun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know u dont know me but i am best friends with nicole and i was just checking out all ppls blogs and found you and wanted to comment and tell you awsome job on working out and being pregant...now thats motivation:)

    ReplyDelete